Wednesday 3 August 2011

Bangles: Thought For The Day

I have noticed a modern trend towards men, outside the tribal unit (where, I daresay, they have actual significance), wearing bangles on their arms. Even the Duke of Cambridge (who avoids jewellery to the extent of refusing a wedding ring) seems to sport the things; as do a couple of popular 'style gurus'. Frankly, I do not like them and regard them as a sign of the decadent times in which we live. Moreover, there is a clanger of a mismatch between either a city or a sporting suit and such items, which suggests that the spirit of subversion lurks in the wearer's breast.

3 comments:

  1. I notice the same thing and have done for the last 5 or 6 years. It's absolutely atrocious. Is the spirit one of subversion, or competitive moral one-upmanship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know but it is a ridiculous phenomenon of our age. Maybe, it is a statement of purported tribal inclusiveness, which the bearers' antecedents just do not begin to justify and this is what annoys us: the fakery of it all. Ah! Welcome to the modern world, where 'andsome is as 'andsome: earns; blogs and blags. The more that I see of this world, the less I want to be in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. At least you're in Brasil.

    ReplyDelete