Thursday 15 September 2011

The Late, Great Comedy Star: Terry-Thomas

Here he is with the cast of the very funny 1960 film Make Mine Mink with, from the left, Elizabeth Duxbury, Athene Seyler, Hattie Jacques and Billie Whitelaw. Note the curious combo of bowler/coke/derby hat, sheepskin top coat, cavalry twill trews and tan suede shoes; somehow he makes it work as the 1960s' garb of a half-pay Major, living in digs in Kensington, under the protection of a benefactress.

"What an absolute shower!"

7 comments:

  1. Just seeing his picture made me smile, he had the most ribald expressions, even his eyebrows were lecherous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great indeed. I saw him only last week in 'School for Scoundrels' with the inevitable and almost equally missed Ian Carmichael.

    I think you spell shower - SHAAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he was one of those comedic actors who really don't have to do much at all. Make Mine Mink is a great film to watch, curtains drawn, on a rainy afternoon.
    NJS

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first reply was to B&P - for some reason, although I am signed-in, I can't appear as myself!

    David - Ian Carmicahel was another great performer on screen, stage and wireless: a real, old time pro. He will also be missed but he had a longer and happier innings than T-T.
    NJS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naked Ape: That's the worst kind of existential crises I've ever heard!
    Oh I haven't seen that film but i'm going to snoop around for it.

    Oh what took you to Brazil - are you on the run? Hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. B&P - I have nearly lost my Id. The film is available in Brazil on DVD so it must be there too. I am indeed on the run -



    - from 'modern Britain'.
    NJS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkfT7p6kBE0

    ReplyDelete